Pedestrian Safety Education Curriculum
Developed by the Bicycle Transportation Alliance
Children first become active members of the transportation system as pedestrians, having learned how to interact with others on the road well before they venture out on their own.
The following curriculum is geared towards students in the 2nd grade and addresses the need for introductory and progressive reinforcement of pedestrian safety knowledge and skills.
• Crossing the street safely
• Pedestrian rules of the road
• Personal responsibility
• Correct use of crosswalks and traffic signals
• Identification of safe and unsafe routes
• Understanding intersections
• Walking with friends and parents